Muse, why hast thou scorned me?
At least once a month, OK, more like every other day, I ask myself this very question: Why the hell do I blog? The money isn’t great, if you call spare change money. It would be easier to make money illegally! The notoriety is non-existent. I can’t even get my family to read my blog. If I had a dog, I’d read it to her. Maybe I should get a dog. And the hours would make most people cry. The sane ones would probably give up after a month. So, why do I torture myself? Especially after my Muse has left me broken hearted long ago. Damn Muses anyway. Who the hell needs ‘em?!
1. It gives me a place to share my obsession with Sasquatch. Seriously, what isn’t cool about the big, hairy dude? Ok, other than he might need to see a stylist once a year…and a shower. And an introduction to deodorant.
2. I can let weird friends write about really off the wall topics like zombie sex. You would NOT believe the gross and creeping searches that land freaks to my blog. I shall forever be indebted (or strongly dislike) Stacy for her zombie obsession.
Zombie Apocalypse (video game) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
3. And because Stacy brought zombie loving fanatics to my blog, I was suddenly getting request to write more and more about zombies. Which resulted in an online magazine asking for a post about how surviving a zombie apocalypse is a lot like raising a toddler. And that had to be followed up with a few zombie stories on my very own blog.
4. It keeps me from getting bored and sitting on the sofa for hours on end playing that damn, highly addictive game: Angry Birds. This, then naturally, leads to contemplating life from an Angry Bird’s perspective.
5. I get to feed my narcissistic side by talking about my favorite subject; ME! Wait…do I even have a post about me? I don’t think so, but I might have one or two about my benevolent benefactor.
6. It might end up leading to a book. And that’s all I got to say about that. You’ll hear about it here before you’ll read about it in the tabloids.
7. But the best part, despite all the bitching and complaining, is meeting some incredibly talented writers. Not all of the bloggers I’ve met can string words together into a coherent sentence. But the one’s that amaze me and blow my socks off are the ones that, week after week, bring their “A” game. They tell stories that keep me engaged and mesmerized. They wield the English language like a guidon or caress it like a much admired lover. To sample some of these writers, check out my page dedicated to “Crazy-Good Bloggers.”
So, there you have it. A few of the reasons I find myself poised in front of my laptop almost on a daily basis, pounding away at the keyboard and attempting to touch you, the reader, with my maniacal and sometimes funny fictions. I hope you keep coming back, because you make it all worth it.